Social skills
Share on

It’s a simple logic: Unless attentive, you never know what lies ahead.

The research suggests that the listening skills of most of the primary school children these days are debatable. What is the effect? Crucial information/details get lost in translation or misunderstood or most instructions just fall on deaf ears.

Our study, conducted in June 2017 in many schools across Bangalore, analysed children’s behaviour aged 6-10 years. The results showed that only 80% of the children listened attentively to the given instructions. And the rest 20% found it difficult to listen attentively.

A parent’s concern:

Why the fuss, children tend to miss things, even I do it at times”, can be your thought. Listening attentively is more than hearing; it involves understanding and being able to reciprocate the same with your own point of view.

Imagine asking your son to invite his friends for a birthday party, at 3 pm. Later you might change the time to 5 pm and may ask your child to inform his/her friends about the same. What if your child misses this information due to his/her poor attention? You might still be in your pyjamas if he/she brings his/her friends at 3 pm. How inconvenient will that be?

Therefore, attentiveness to instructions can ensure safety, enabling one to understand new ideas and to act in an organized manner.

What happens if children don’t pay heed to instructions?

  • The child may never act according to a plan or sequence, which may make him/her seem unorganised and lazy.

Thus, it is crucial to make your children understand the importance of attentive listening, as listening with attention helps the child to become plan-oriented and go-getters. Also, in subjects like math, physics and chemistry, being organized is very important. Hence attentive listening as a skill acts as a blessing in disguise, as its help your child to grasp things faster, organise things better and make him/her understand the importance of being disciplined.

Share on